General guidelinesFEEDING GUIDELINE
It is important to feed a diet and quantity that meets the lifestyle and needs of the horse.
A general guideline for the recommended amount of concentrates per day:
- For maintenance and basic sport: 0.2 to 0.5 kg per 100 kg bodyweight.
- For (top) sport: 0.5 to 1.0 kg per 100 kg bodyweight.
Feed a good quality forage with a minimum of 1.5% of your horses' bodyweight.
Fresh drinking water must be available at all times.
We also advice to follow the 7 HAVENS Feeding-rules:
- Feed your horse (or horses) with small portions on a regular basis. Horses are generally used to be eating 60-80% of their time.
- Don't change the feed or feeding time just at once, make small changes. For example if you want to change from one muesli to the other mix, first, mix it 1/4 new 3/4 old. The next day, mix it 50/50. the day after that 3/4 new 1/4 old and fully switch to the new feed the day after that.
- Feed according to the need; a horse requires more concentrates
during high level exercise, than on days with low level exercise
- Always feed your horse enough good quality roughage, that looks good, is dust-free and smells well. The recommended quantity is at least 1,5% of the body weight per day
- Supply your horse with hay first before you give it muesli or cubes. The chewing stimulates saliva production, which is favorable for a healthy digestion.
- Let the horse rest for at least 1 hour after feeding time before exercise.
- Fresh drinking water must be available at all times